You can make a Caesar salad healthy by replacing the usual calorie-heavy dressing with a creamy avocado puree, and replacing the buttery croutons with crunchy nuts. Here, we used pumpkin seeds!
This salad is ready in just a few minutes. It is delicious, and it has healthy fats from the avocado and the nuts. These fats are Mono Unsaturated Fats (called MUFAs) and they can actually lower cholesterol! Additionally, the romaine and the avocado are both rich in fiber.
For two – or one if you’re very hungry – you will need:
-A small ripe avocado
-Half a lemon juice
-Garlic to your taste (1 clove?)
-Salt and pepper
-A small head of romaine
-Chicken breast (you can replace with shrimp or whatever protein you prefer)
-2 to 3 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, or walnuts, toasted sliced almonds, toasted pine nuts…
– Grated Parmesan, again as much as you like
– Scoop out the avocado and puree it with the lemon juice in a blender or food processor. Or you can just smash it with a fork. The lemon juice replaces vinegar and will also prevent the avocado’s color to turn brown.
– Add the garlic, salt and pepper to your taste. If the sauce is too thick, you can add a tablespoon or two of olive oil to get it to a creamy consistency.
– Cut up the romaine lettuce and slice your chicken breast or protein.
– Toss the dressing and the lettuce together. Top with the chicken, parmesan, and the pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy! And if you are a Caesar Salad purist add a few anchovies…