This Weekend’s Recipe is Orange and Fennel Salmon. This can be prepared in 10 minutes and cooked in the microwave in about 5 minutes if you are in a rush. But we know that not everybody is a fan of microwave cooking, so it can also be cooked in the oven for 12-15 minutes. This recipe is for one person but can be scaled up.
Ingredients for one person:
– 4 to 6oz wild caught salmon, pending your appetite
– 1 fennel bulb, using only the white part and getting rid of the tough first layer
– 2 juicy oranges
– Slice the fennel with a “mandolin” horizontally, or slice it very thinly with a knife. It must be very thin.
– Slice half an orange, either with the mandolin or with a knife. Whether or not you keep the skin on are up to you. The slices should be about 1/8 of an inch.
– Squeeze one orange for the juice.
1. Microwave cooking:
– Cook the fennel in a microwave safe container for one minute with the orange juice.
– Then add the salmon on top of it. Add a little bit of olive oil, pepper and salt on the salmon. We sometimes add a little bit of grated fresh ginger.
– Cover the seasoned salmon with a few slices of orange so that it is covered perfectly. Then add some of the pre-cooked fennel over the layer of oranges.
– Cook for about three to four minutes on high, depending on how you want your salmon.
2. Oven cooking:
-If you cook in the oven you can do everything at once. Wrap everything in aluminum foil so it stays juicy.
– Preheat the oven at 450 degrees and cook the salmon for 12-15 minutes with the fennel, orange pieces, and orange juice.
This is delicious served with quinoa or brown rice. Enjoy this healthy and easy recipe packed with Omega 3!