This Thai Coconut Milk Soup Recipe, with shrimp, chicken or tofu, leeks, mushrooms, red pepper, spinach and cilantro is both delicious and quick to prepare. We got this recipe from The Suppers Program in Princeton NJ. It serves 8 – 10 persons.
If you want a lighter version, you can use light coconut milk – but it will not be as creamy.
– Extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil to coat the bottom of the pot
– 2 or 3 leeks, sliced – only the white part
– 1 red pepper, slivered
– 15 large button mushrooms, sliced
– 1 to 2 lbs of shrimp or chicken breast, cut into bite sized chunks
– 2 cans of coconut milk (not the light version, the real stuff!)
– 6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
– 1 block of tofu, cubed (optional, and feel free to use more if making a vegetarian version of this dish)
– 1 large bag or 10 oz. of cleaned spinach, chopped
– 1/3 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
– 1 lime, juiced
– Salt and pepper to your taste
– Hot sauce to your taste
– Coat the bottom of the soup pot with oil or fat
– Sauté the leeks, red pepper and mushrooms until soft
– Add the shrimp or chicken, coconut milk and stock
– Simmer for 15 minutes, until the shrimp or chicken is cooked through
– Add the tofu, spinach, cilantro, and lime juice and heat until the greens are just wilted
– Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.