The Delicious Healthy Winter Vegetables Medley. Rich in fibers, colors and taste, this recipe is very easy to prepare and pretty good with any protein source. We use many spices and herbs to give it a wonderful textured flavor. If this intimidates you you can just stick to salt, pepper, ginger and parsley and it will still be delicious. You can freeze single portions for the week. You will need the following.:
Ingredients – Will serve 10-12 portions:
– 3 cloves garlic, smashed
– 3-4 small turnips, peeled and quartered
– 1 medium yellow onion, quartered lengthwise, root end intact
– 3-4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
– 1 fennel bulb, thickly sliced lengthwise, root end intact
– 2 small zucchini, cut into 2 inch rounds
– 1 celeriac (celery root) or 1 pound butternut squash. I used celeriac this time. Cut in 1in cubes.
– 1 cup canned whole peeled tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes with their juice
– 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
– 1 box or ½ cup raisins
– 1 tbsp. peeled, chopped fresh ginger
– 1 tbsp. kosher salt and pepper
– 2 teaspoons each: ground cumin, paprika and sugar
– 1 ½ tsp. ground turmeric
– 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
– 1 cinnamon stick, snapped in half
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 4 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley, tied together with a kitchen string
First cook the celeriac or butternut squash, the carrots, the parsnips, the onion and the garlic with the salt and pepper and 6 tbsp. of olive oil. Brown the veggies a little bit and then add the chicken broth and all the other veggies. After 30mn, add the tomatoes. At the very end, add the raisins and chickpeas so that they do not become totally mushy. Let it simmer for another 10-15mn.
The longer it cooks, the less crunchy the veggies will be. It is up to you. Can be served on its own or with couscous, brown rice or quinoa.
It can be frozen in smaller portions for the week. You can add other vegetables if you like and be creative.