My friend Priya Khanna is a real estate expert in Princeton, NJ and when I met her we spoke about nutrition and food. Of course! She told me she was passionate about cooking, and not Indian food only. I heard she was amazing with French and Thai cuisine as well.
So naturally, as I am always looking for new recipes and workshops, I invited her to lead a cooking event for The CogniDiet. I asked her to take Indian, and very importantly, quick and easy to prepare, vegetable recipes and teach my clients.
In my curriculum, I absolutely emphasize the need to get your carbohydrates mostly from fresh vegetables. After a few kale salads, green beans and roasted zucchini, people are really starting to get bored. The idea was born to use the same vegetables but with an ethnic twist. And voila, here is the first of her recipes.
And this concludes our series of healthy Indian recipes created by amazing cook Priya Khanna. This roasted beets with goat cheese and yogurt dressing salad can be served as a starter or a side dish.
Ingredients: Serves 6 to 8 as a side dish or salad
- 4 medium beets, peeled
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain low fat yogurt or 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon roasted ground cumin (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Wrap each of the peeled beets in aluminum foil and place on baking tray. Roast the beets 45 to 50 minutes or until fork tender. Do not over bake.
- Dressing: In a medium bowl take yogurt beat until smooth. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil. Keep aside.
- To serve: dice the roasted beets, season with salt, pepper, olive oil, and chopped mint. Mix well.
- Top beets with crumbled goat cheese and drizzle yogurt dressing on top.
- Garnish with mint.
©2017 Priya Khanna Recipes. All Rights Reserved