It’s hot here in New Jersey for this Labor Day weekend and you want to enjoy the last days of summer at the pool or at the beach or simply surrounded by good friends and family. You may have been invited to a party or have people at your home.
You want to prepare or bring something refreshing, hydrating and easy to make. Nothing beats a watermelon, arugula and rosemary salad. It is always a hit.
So here it is, this watermelon salad is so quick to prepare and is always a success with adults and kids alike. Serve it very chilled. It will be even more delicious and enjoyable.
For 6 servings you will need:
– 1 watermelon
– 3 bunches of arugula or 1 pound should suffice. The peppery taste of arugula marries well with the sweetness of the watermelon
– Feta cheese or goat cheese (3 to 4oz)
– Olive oil and balsamic vinegar
– A few sprigs fresh rosemary (but you could use basil, mint, lemon verbena…)
– Coarse salt and pepper to your taste
– Cut the watermelon in 1.5in cubes and toss as many seeds as you can. It is recommended to keep the watermelon in the fridge before serving
– Mix at the last minute with the arugula salad
– The vinaigrette: I like it with more olive oil than vinegar for this specific recipe. So 6 to 8 tbsps. olive oil and 2 tbsps. balsamic vinegar plus 1 tbsp. yellow mustard. Add coarse salt and pepper to your taste.
– Add a few fresh rosemary sprigs, and crush them a little in the vinaigrette before tossing, it will enhance the flavor of the vinaigrette
– Crumble the feta cheese on the salad before serving. It all depends on your taste, some people may like more or less of the feta cheese
Enjoy al fresco!